Candlelight is a role playing game about the restless spirits of treasure hunters reckoning with their dark past and seeking hope in a haunted forest that wants to trap them there. It is a one-shot, rules-light game, focusing on collaborative and thematic storytelling and is designed to be flexible in how you bring it to the table:
- An epilogue for any fantasy game following character death - especially a TPK!
- A world-building prologue for any game needing a haunted forest or other cursed place
- A stand-alone game exploring themes of dark fantasy and supernatural horror - with a glimmering of hope and redemption
Candlelight is Rooted in Trophy, using the core system of Trophy Dark to tell as story of desperate characters pushing their luck in a place that constantly threatens to overwhelm them. The key difference here is that the characters have already met their doom - while Trophy Dark progresses through a series of Rings and escalating horror, Candlelight starts at that final Ring where the characters have just died. It is at the dark heart of the forest that they will begin their journey, retracing the steps they took while living, seeking hope and an escape from the forest before they become a monstrosity that haunts it forever.
To explore a wide range of fantasy-horror stories, Candlelight is compatible with any of the incursions (scenarios) from Trophy Dark. Detailed instructions are included for adapting your favorite Trophy Dark incursion for Candlelight, and any character creation options from Trophy are easily transferrable to Candlelight.
The game contains the following:
- Rules for the game, a blank Character Sheet, tips for running the game including principles of play and safety tools
- Detailed instructions for adapting Trophy Dark incursions for Candlelight
- Expanded tables for Dirges (Rituals), Drives of the spirit characters, options for your Doom (backgrounds), Memories (including extensive options related to relationships, identities and roles), Lures (story threads to draw the spirits out of the forest), Beliefs of the Afterlife, and many more evocative elements to inspire your game
- Design and layout featuring the atmospheric textures of B. Zentz
- Additional tables by guest authors
- Gorgeous ink illustrations by Ezra Rose
- Streamlined options for adapting characters from D&D and other games
- An introductory scenario for playing the game
- A variation for solo play